Saturday, September 13, 2014

Introduction

Hello,

My name is Laura Hafner, and this is my second year teaching First Grade Religion at Our Lady of Charity Parish.  I have been married for almost 16 years, and I have two beautiful sons who are 13 and 12.  My oldest son is autistic.  He was diagnosed with Aspergers in Kindergarten.

Because I have a son who has Aspergers and ADHD and I didn't want to overwhelm a religious Ed teacher, I made the decision with the help of my Parish to home school my boys their religious instruction so that they would be able to receive the Sacrament of First Holy Communion.  I learned as much as I could through a great radio station 101.7, and I had a lot of fun and learned a lot teaching my children.

Last August, just before the school year began, I received a call from Ms. McKenzie who was in need of a First Grade Religious Ed teacher and was wondering if I could help out.  I was thrilled to help out so I accepted and am now entering my second year teaching.

The challenge that I had last year was a lack of communication with the parents.  I met with the children every week, but I really didn't know any of the parents.  This year I wanted to change that.  In order for your children to grow in the faith, I really need to be able to communicate with you - the parents, so I have created this blog. 

The blog will be a tool for both you, as the parents, and me.  Please use this blog to see what the children are learning, and I encourage you to make comments.  I am interested in what you expect the children to learn, and if there is anything that you would like me to cover, please don't hesitate to post your requests.  This is going to be a great year for both you and your children. 

God Bless and PAX (Peace)

Laura Hafner  

1 comment: